Wrongful death “is a civil cause of action brought by family members and
dependents against individuals who knowingly or negligently cause the death
of another person.” Today, wrongful deaths are a significant cause of death.
According to data collected by the CDC, there were 173,040 accidental
fatalities in 2020. The surviving family or dependents may file a wrongful death
lawsuit to seek compensation for their losses.
Although tricky, wrongful death compensation can be made if the
defendant did something wrong that caused the death of a person who
would have had a valid personal injury claim. This can happen in many
different ways, such as:
1. Lawyer’s Background: It’s essential to do enough research when looking for
the right lawyer to handle your case. Check out the history of the few lawyers
in your area. Ask them if they’ve worked on cases like yours, and ensure they
have the proper licenses. If you can, choose a lawyer who is an expert in
wrongful death cases.
2. Ask questions: Knowing about a lawyer’s previous experiences is the best
way to find out if they are the right one for your case. Make sure your questions
are about the following:
• How many cases of wrongful death do they handle each year?
• How long have they been working in your area?
• Record of settlements and court decisions?
• How often do they take on cases of wrongful death?
3. Association Membership: It’s essential to check the reputation of a wrongful
death lawyer before you hire them. Check the lawyer’s website to find out if
they are affiliated with a bar association. If they aren’t, you should look for
someone else. The best lawyers to handle wrongful death cases are those who
have been in charge of something. To be a leader, a lawyer needs to have a
good name and have earned the respect of other lawyers.
4. Read Testimonials: You can ask the lawyer you’re thinking about if they have
any references. If they let you talk to some of their satisfied clients, you might
want to hire them. References always give answers that are not biased.
5. Cost: Compare the prices before you decide who to hire. Some lawyers are
willing to work for a fee based on the case’s outcome, while others are not.
The following are the standard requirements for a successful wrongful death
• The loss of a human life
• The person who died was not responsible for their actions and either did
not want to hurt others or did so unintentionally.
• Designating a legal heir to handle the deceased’s assets
As the person left behind, you can file a wrongful death claim to get money
for all of the following:
• The costs of your loved one’s funeral and burial.
• The medical bills your loved one racked up between the accident.
• The amount of money you will lose because your loved one died too
soon, based on how long they were expected to live.
• The loss of maintenance you have to deal with.
• Your loss has caused you a lot of mental pain and suffering.
Although wrongful death lawsuits are incredibly tricky, the Dallas lawyers at
GoSuits are dedicated to using their extensive knowledge to advocate on your
behalf. Please don’t wait to contact us or call us at 844-Go-Suits to find more
information. We are always on your side.
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Don’t worry we’re here to help!